Tuesday, September 27, 2005

John Prine Tribute This Friday

Jack Erdie writes . . .
First, I want to thank everybody who attended the PUMPKIN CD release party two weeks ago at the Rex. It was one of the highlights of my life. In fact, I've been in a sort of artistic post-partem depression ever since. There were a couple of moments where I thought I would levitate from a mystical blend of gratitude and the energy and attention coming from everybody. Thank you all.

Second, and now more pressing, since it has the potential to be another fantastic night for all involved: This Friday's Three Penny Opry will be a tribute to John Prine. Ten local singer/songwriters will play one John Prine song, and one of
their original tunes that they can somehow connect to Mr. Prine. So far, Robert Wagner, Joey Murphy, Howard Davidson, David Wells, Mark Stroup, Sue Gartland, Peter Donovan, John Hayes, and myself are all signed up.

It's rumored that Ron "Moondog" Esser might play a Prine tune, too.

After the "official" tribute, there will be an open mike where performers are encouraged to do the same -- Prine songs and songs influenced in some way by him.

I'll videotape the whole thing and send it to John!

John Prine was a formative influence on my musical direction, starting when I was about thirteen. I sometimes lean more to the hyperverbal, Dylanesque side of the equation, just because I have so much to say, so little time in which to do it, and not enough craft yet to simplify and encapsulate. But I've been striving for years to get to the John Prine-like core of things, to be able to impart both the overwhelming humor and pathos of life with the single well-crafted line. I may have finally done this with Speed of Darkness, which is directly influenced by two songs of Prine's. (Anybody care to guess which two?)

Thanks for your time. See you there.

Your Servant in Song,

Jack Erdie

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home