Wednesday, May 03, 2006

A Departure
This Saturday take a trip with the ThreePenny Opry on "Planes, Trains, and Automobiles," a multi-media adventure in movement. The sounds you may hear and the sights you may see might not be typical singer-songwriter fare, but look and listen closely and you'll see it all travels from the heart.

I'm very excited about showcasing the talents of Howie Alexander, a fabulous pianist. Music radiates out from Howie's finger tips to the rest of the world, and the world is much better for it. Annette Dietz will be reading poetry, Liz and I will be screening a Pittsburgh video cruise, and The Groove Pilgrims have compiled a set examining the virtues and vices inherent in wandering -- with an emphasis on the beat.

To cap the evening off we'll be singing some songs together, and I haven't figured out what they are and I'm not about to control what we do. I would, however, like to get some suggestions on the theme of travel and transport. Some songs that come to mind are Chuck Berry's "No Particular Place to Go," Frankie Ford's "Sea Cruise," and Woody Guthrie's "Let's Go Riding in the Car." Leave a comment here or send me an e-mail, and I'll put together some lyrics sheets.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mark,

I don't want a pickle/I just want to ride on my motorcycle...

"The City of New Orleans" also springs to mind. "Dancin' in the Streets," with its reference to Pittsburgh. "Don't Think Twice, It's Alright." "Peace Train."

Some of my favorite traveling songs are found on Joni Mitchell's "Blue," although they're not really sing-alongs. Maybe one of the musicians could do "This Flight Tonight."

Angele

2:44 AM  
Blogger smallstreams said...

This from Brian:

Travelin' songs should be singable in the car, so country or quasicountry
springs to mind....

- drivin' wheel ("I feel like some old engine, and I've lost my drivin'
wheel")
- on the road ("we didn't know who we were, we didn't
know what we did, we were just on the road...")
- wichita lineman
- (take me home) country roads

9:23 AM  
Blogger smallstreams said...

"On the Road, Again," of course.

9:24 AM  
Blogger smallstreams said...

Derwin sez:

I don't know if "Radar Love" is a good sing-along.

11:53 AM  
Blogger smallstreams said...

John sends a query:

You mean suggestions for traditional "travel and transport songs," like "This Train (Is Bound for Glory)," "Rock Isle Line," and "This Land is Your Land"?

Or do you mean more contemporary "travel and transport songs," like "Two Lane Highway" (Pure Prairy League), "Do You Know the Way to San Jose" (Roberta Flack), "Southbound Train" (Ian Matthews), "On the Road Again" (Willy Nelson) and "Turn the Page" (Bob Seger)?

For those of you who are wondering, either should do fine. How about a trucker song. Does anybody know "Phantom 409"?

12:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Travelling songs--Hmm? "Cowboy Song," by Thin Lizzy; "Driver 8" by R.E.M. "Coyote," by Better Than Ezra. "Chesnut Mare," by the Byrds. "Mississippi Moon," by King's X. "Hot Rod Lincoln," by Commander Cody. This might give you a start.

1:55 PM  
Blogger smallstreams said...

Diana suggests Bruce as a source and adds the following:

Pink Cadillac, Car Wash, Born to Run, depressing songs, like Stolen Car

1:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love traveling songs. Someone recently lent me a John Denver CD and I been listening to his song, "Back Home Again" over and over again. That chorus is so catchy , "Hey It's good to be back home again, sometimes this old farm feels like a long lost friend...

4:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was going to say that it could be very socially responsible if you did
songs about fuel economy and mass transportation. But none of the songs
I can think of are in that vein: Back in the USSR, Leaving on a Jet
Plane, The Letter (Box Tops), Jan and Dean, Last Train to Clarksville
(Monkees)... I'm sure you'll do better than that!

6:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home